Try to accomplish the tasks on this list at least 8 weeks before you move. If you are moving in less than 8 weeks, you will want to make sure that these tasks are accomplished as soon as possible!
Two Months Before
- Book a rental truck if necessary.
- Make any travel plans necessary for your move.
- Make doctor and dentist appointments so you don't have to make these visits immediately after the move. Inform them of your move and request copies of your records. Ask if they can provide referrals.
One Month Before
- Hold a moving sale or donate all unwanted items to charity.
- Keep a running list of items that you will need to replace when you relocate.
- Check with your insurance company to find out how your possessions are covered during transit. If you will be moving items of extraordinary value, try to find sales slips for them. Have antiques, artwork, jewelry, collectibles, musical instruments and other valuables appraised. Take photos or videos of the items.
- Start using foods and cleaning supplies that cannot be moved. Donate nonperishable items to a local food bank.
- Arrange for special transportation of pets, plants and any fragile or valuable items.
- File a change of address at your local post office.
- Arrange for new subscriptions, subscription forwarding or subscription cancelling.
- Get a copy of the IRS publication relevant to moving from the library. It will be easier to fill out now than when tax season rolls around.
- Check to see if you need any moving permits.
- Stock up on boxes and packing material.
Two Weeks Before
- Arrange for local phone service.
- Transfer your bank accounts and establish an account in your new location before the move if possible.
- Transfer prescriptions and make sure you have an adequate supply of medications on hand.
- Return any borrowed items and retrieve any loaned items.
One Week Before
- Start packing! As you pack begin to take inventory of your belongings.
- Close your safe-deposit box at the bank.
- Confirm any travel reservations.
- Clean lawn mower and drain gas and oil from power equipment. Disconnect any spark plugs.
Two or Three Days Before
- Disconnect and prepare major appliances for moving.
- Finish up packing. Pack a box of items that you will use immediately at your new home.
- Take down remaining curtains, blinds and shelves.
- Do a thorough cleaning, including emptying and cleaning trash cans.
- If renting, have your landlord or superintendent look at your place to determine what portion of the safety deposit will be refunded.
Move Out Day
- Leave a telephone number and forwarding address with a neighbor in case of emergency.
- Do one last cleaning with the house empty.
- Make sure all lights and remaining appliances are turned off.
- Check your belongings and note on the inventory any damaged items.
- Take one last walk through the house and make sure everything has been packed.
- Supervise loading if using professional movers.